Every house and building must have a good ventilation system. If not, dirty air will only continue to spin in the room so that it will have a negative impact on the breathing of each occupant. Indeed, what does a good ventilation system look like? приточно-вытяжная установка с роторным рекуператором
Types of ventilation that are commonly applied in homes or buildings
Ventilation system is an air exchange system from outside to inside and vice versa which aims to control the quality of indoor air. The existence of an air exchange system can remove pollutants that settle in the room so as to provide healthy air for us to breathe.
Ventilation is a system that must be present in every building. Even though it looks shiny clean, every house will produce dirty air, which is either a mixture of debris or dust from a vehicle outside the room.
Generally there are 3 types of ventilation systems that are most commonly used by residential or office buildings.
A natural ventilation system that must be present in every building is a window that can be opened and closed air holes that usually exist at each top of the door. This opening is useful for pushing out air in the room and entering clean air from outside.
In addition to windows and air vents, certain buildings and housing may also have chimneys on their roofs to allow for maximum air exchange.
The shape and how much natural ventilation in your home will be very dependent on the needs, climate of the area, and the design of your building.
If using natural ventilation is not enough, you can install an engine to allow air exchange at home. Engine ventilation is usually in the form of a fan , AC ( air conditioning ), or exhaust fan .
These machines aim to speed up air circulation in the room by sucking air in the room at once in large quantities to be discharged to the outside. At the same time, this machine will draw fresh air from outside and supply it into the room.
3. Mixed models or hybrid models
Sometimes some rooms, such as kitchens or bathrooms, need to use different types of ventilation so that the air exchange is more optimal.
Usually in addition to the window, kitchen and bathroom will also be fitted with an exhaust fan . This tool serves to suck and dispose of air in the room, and replace it with a new one.
The process of rapid air exchange allows the air in the room not too long damp or musty. The exhaust fan must be installed in a room with one side facing the outside of the building through a wall or roof.
How to know that ventilation in your home is good?
To find out if your residence or office building is well ventilated, all questions below must be answered “yes”:
- Do you have the amount of ventilation as needed? For example, 2 bedrooms, dining room, bathroom, kitchen, and family room must have at least 3 ventilation. Can the mixed model or natural.
- Is your house odor free?
- Does every cooking room have a stove, wood stove, or grill with ventilation like a window or exhaust fan ?
- Is there an exhaust fan or air gap in the wall of each bathroom?
- Does every exhaust fan work well and air is discharged outside the room? (not to the attic or garage house)
What are the consequences if the ventilation is bad?
Dirty air trapped inside the house can affect your and your family’s health. According to the World Health Organization , poorly ventilated buildings can be a means of spreading infectious germs that cause diseases, such as flu, tuberculosis and legionellosis.
Most of these infectious diseases are transmitted through the air. When someone is sick then coughing or sneezing is not closed, the germs will continue to fly in the air. Now if the ventilation is poor, the air containing germs will continue to be in the same room so that it is easily inhaled again by other healthy people. Even people who had been sick and recovered could relapse again with the same disease if they still breathe the same air.
Repeated disease transmission in the same building is often referred to as sick building syndrome (SBS). This risk is not only susceptible to occur in office buildings or housing. Clinics and hospitals that are not well ventilated are equally vulnerable to being places of infection for workers, visitors and patients there. Spread of infection in hospitals is called hospital acquaired infection (HAI)
Bad ventilation makes the house moldy
Not only that. If there is no exchange of fresh air, the room in the building may smell stale for a long time because it is kept damp. For example from the smell of food, the smell of garbage, and the smell of animal waste that mixes and continues to spin in the room.
In addition, the air exchange system also indirectly regulates the level of air humidity. Home furnishings such as wooden floors, wooden tables, and other wooden furniture are prone to absorb water vapor left in your home. This excessive humidity will continue to gather in the house and trigger the growth of mold and mildew in the room, which can affect the health of you and your family.
Moldy walls and floors are one of the most common sources of allergens in a home. Symptoms can include runny nose, itchy and reddish eye irritation, sneezing, and itchy throat.
You may also be prone to recurring headaches or fever. Moldy house walls are one of the reasons why home people get sick often because their spores can weaken the immune system.
Here are some tips for better air circulation at home
- Use the exhaust fan , or at least there is an air gap to the outside of the room in the bathroom to remove moisture and the smell of gas from the house.
- Make sure your kitchen has an exhaust fan that makes air out. Use a fan or open the window when cooking to remove smoke and odors in the air.
- Do not use the stove without ventilation. Install a carbon monoxide detector at several locations in your home.
- Take the washing machine or clothes dryer out of the room too. Clean the vents regularly to ensure dust does not block the air flow.
- If you have a hobby of coloring with watercolors or using some chemicals in your home, add extra ventilation. Open the window and use a portable window fan to draw air out of the room.
- If the air in the room remains too humid, look for sources of humidity that need to be controlled. If that still doesn’t solve the problem, use a dehumidifier. If you use a dehumidifier, make sure you clean it regularly.